Τετάρτη 16 Ιουλίου 2008

Linux Media Server

Nowadays, many people may have an old PC around that they don't really use. One of the things that you can do with it is to convert it into a "media server". Doing this, may provide you with a platform from where you can listen to your music collection remotely, download staff etc.

In this article I will first list what I believe that we can add to our media server. I really want to see your comments regarding other things that you would like to see on our media server. Then I will go on to describe how we can actually set one up.

The basics:
The OS that we will use on our media server will be "Linux". More specifically I will use Ubuntu 8.04LTS as this currently my favorite distro. However, note that I will be using the Server edition (meaning no GUI).

The initial content of the media server (please add to this list using the comments):
  1. Ability to stream media files over the network - Jinzora
  2. Ability to download torrents with a nice web interface - rTorrent & rtgui
  3. Ability to share files over the network between Linux and Windows machines - SAMBA
  4. Ability to remotely manage every aspect of our media server - Webmin
  5. Manage Remotely databases - phpAdmin
  6. ...
  7. ...

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: